Author Topic: Fursonas in the furry fandom  (Read 1751 times)

Vasquez

• NewFur

• Personal Text
    The shelled collector
    • SoFurry - Vasquez
    • Weasyl - Vasquez
    • DeviantArt- ExtremeRoadkill
    • FurAffinity - Vasquez
    • Instagram
Fursonas in the furry fandom
« on: 25 June, 2015, 07:55:40 PM »
Howdy folks! We all know that the furry fandom is quite unique in comparison to other fandoms, but I'm curious. Why is it that in the furry fandom there is a very large focus on OCs and original characters?

In most fandoms, like anime, the main focus is on "official" characters with only a minority making thier very own characters. With furry, it almost seems essential to have a character of your own to participate

Thought it'd be fun to have a discussion topic here for once! (And the fact I'm curious of course)
Suspicious mound of flesh on your curb? Probably me

CuteFurryCuddles

• NewFur

• Personal Text
    I dunno \('-')/
    • My FA
Re: Fursonas in the furry fandom
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »
Original characters (or fursonas) are to represent the creator. That's why there's so many. They are supposed to represent the creator's personality and of course because everyone is different, no two fursonas will be the same. It wouldn't be any fun if we were all running around as Telephone. That would take away the personal connection and the creativity. We'd all look the same and act the same and it would just be dull. It'd be like going outside wearing your favourite celebrity's face and acting like them just because everyone knows them. It's kind of hard to explain but I hope you can understand what I'm getting at x3
stuff and thangs.

-

• NewFur

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2015, 10:02:23 AM »
I guess that since the furry fandom isn't based on a tv show or book etc... people can't focus on official characters because there are none. There's no official characters to focus on, so furries look at each other's character creations to admire. The fandom is very much character based so if you don't have an oc you could be left behind or feel left out.

I dunno, just a random thought  :P. I agree with CuteFurryCuddles' point~

CuteFurryCuddles

• NewFur

• Personal Text
    I dunno \('-')/
    • My FA
« Reply #3 on: 27 June, 2015, 12:11:20 AM »
I guess that since the furry fandom isn't based on a tv show or book etc... people can't focus on official characters because there are none. There's no official characters to focus on, so furries look at each other's character creations to admire. The fandom is very much character based so if you don't have an oc you could be left behind or feel left out.

I dunno, just a random thought  :P. I agree with CuteFurryCuddles' point~

Yay :3 *highfives*
stuff and thangs.